Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

A changing world

Last week, while walking back to my car with a load of groceries, I was approached by a woman. She told me that she just got an apartment behind the grocery store and a new job, but didn't have any money yet to buy food. She asked if she could have some money. I told her that I don't carry cash on me and I quickly walked to my car. I felt bad, but my mama told me to not talk to strangers, and usually it's a scam to grab your wallet while you are getting them change.

Yesterday, while IN the same grocery store, I was approached by a man who GAVE ME THE SAME EXACT STORY. Ok, what's the odds of this happening twice? I told him that someone approached me last week with the same story and he quickly left. I found a manager and told him the story and he apologized and told me to tell someone next time and they will kick them out. I thanked him and told him that I just wanted to make them aware that this scam was going on there (it's a nice store in a fairly nice area).

While feeling bad the first time, I'm glad I listened to instincts (and mom) and not trust the person. It actually makes me sad to think that people have to resort to doing such things and I hope that we don't have to start worrying about being approached, or robbed going to a trusted neighborhood just to get groceries. I don't live in a big crazy city like Chicago to avoid such encounters.

Am I making a point here? Not really. I just wish that instead of holding out their hand (and scamming), people would find their self worth and make something of themselves!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there. Thanks for visiting Steadfast. YOu're always welcome.
I've been approached in the parking lot of the grocery store too. I NEVER give money, but I did hand over a package of hamburger. These things happen. "The poor we will always have with us."
Rosemary

Ameena said...

I always feel so bad when people approach me but I know that I need to exercise caution as well...well said. Great post!

secret agent woman said...

I always have such mixed feelings - many people who are asking for money are mentally ill. But it makes me felt unsafe, so I always say no and move on.

SoCal Tess said...

That's always an awkward situation, especially because these days you can't tell if people are lying or truly in need. I would've done the same thing! I'm a new follower from MBC :)
Cheers,
Tess
inlovebythebeach.blogspot.com