Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Are we bullies or just pissed off?

I was catching up on my favorite big-time bloggers this weekend and one that I read was very interesting. I love this blog and I can't stay away from it no matter how much I try. Even when I get so aggravated that she has the perfect life yet can complain about it. I have been trying my hardest to walk away since she had her second child because I just cannot relate to this person and her complaining that she is sleep deprived and how she can't get posts out even though that is her only job, her husband is there on a daily basis and their older daughter goes to school during the day. Granted, she has to come up with something witty and perfect, but is it really that bad? I always think about you guys (and me) who have many children, other jobs too and no husband around during the day to do nothing but to help you with your business and kids, yet you post almost daily. You are awesome!
ANYWAY. Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. For once I agree with her and feel sorry for her. Her latest post has to do with buying a washer. An expensive washer, that almost instantly broke and the company wouldn't help her until she Twittered about it. Then, she was apparently called a bully by someone. A bully? I know that she gets hate mail for everything she writes and that would drive me crazy especially when I went through that myself when I first started my blog. I have to agree with her that if a large corporation doesn't want to stand behind their product and an expensive one at that, then they should be called on. Opinions are our freedom to give and when I thought about all the companies that I wanted to yell about, my post would probably be a mile long.
My point is, that she used her blogging power to get help and that maybe these companies better realize that more and more people might start doing this and I don't know if people were trying to tell her that she could be sued or not but I know that I do product reviews and so do a lot of you and we are going to be honest about the product and I think that that's basically what she did. She gave her opinion. So, you know what Ms. Famous Blogger, I stand behind you on this.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to bed because I am sleep deprived too.

19 comments:

Sincerely Iowa said...

No, she's not a bully. If companies want to use her to advertise their products and take advantage of her celebrity status, then companies also need to realize that she has the right to voice her opinion in a negative way too.

Amy said...

So, did Dooce get her washer dilemma fixed? I thought it was a dryer??

Creative Junkie said...

That is one of my favorite blogs as well and WOW - wouldn't it be nice if we ALL had that kind of power? And she used it for good because, as their tweets said, we ALL deserve good customer service and if it takes her calling that company out on a social media network simply to set a standard that is deserving of ALL people, not just big-time bloggers, I don't think that's being a bully. I think that's being an advocate.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I have never visited her blog, but hear a lot about her. I agree, companies need to take note and see the power blogs have!

Jennifer said...

I think it's a great use of blogging - when it's done right and with integrity. SOMEONE'S gotta keep those big corporations honest!

eight helping hands said...

Hey sleep deprived WOman! That was funny, and I'm dying to know who's blog it is.
BTW, I got a new home computer and I'm going to start blogging again. Right after Labor Day weekend and the kids go back to school and, and and! :-)

KarieK said...

I think she used her power of the people wisely! Whether she used social media or called someone who knows a guy who knows a guy who could really help (like the rest of us do) thats just getting the job done and getting your appliances handled and getting some customer service. Now if that only applied to healthcare...but that's another rant.

Karie

The Four Week Vegan said...

I think she was well within her rights to speak her mind as long as what she says is true. I say more power to her!!!

Liz Mays said...

I didn't read her blog about it but I saw their response on twitter. They're getting some publicity out of the whole thing anyhow.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Ahh, so you're speaking of good old Dooce then ;) She's the only Famous Blogger I know about.

Jenni said...

I read that and I agree with you! I was glad she took matters into her own hands!

Brittany at Mommy Words said...

Yeah Heather is no bully. We all have every right to tweet our disgust with bad service after paying our hard earned money. I too wonder if she is any more sleep deprived than me or you but maybe I would be if I got all that hate mail and had a new baby? Oh - she has hired an assitant too!

Cheers to my blog exploding in popularity before this baby comes in January - I'll take the hate mail :)

I love that blog too. Showed it to my mom and she subscribed. Showed it to a guy friend and so did he. She just has a way of connecting - like her or not. I do wish she interacted a bit more with her legions of followers though!

Sonya said...

I read this blog as well, and I agree with you about sometimes getting aggravated, but like you I'm having trouble walking away. It's great that she was able to do that, but somehow I don't think using my little blog to complain would have quite the same impact! lol.

Stopping by from MBC, already a follower, but showing some blog love. Great post as always!

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

Why can't a person talk about the customer service they receive? I'm glad people do this-it makes a stronger company, product and service.

ConnieFoggles said...

I use Twitter for positive and negatives on companies. I have actually gotten a couple of replies. I think if we all do this, the power in numbers will work.

Helene said...

A friend of mine told me about that and I agree that she did the right thing. As moms, I think we have a lot of power when it comes to buying things for our home and for our families. If someone tells me that a certain company has horrible customer service or the product sucks, I'm not gonna buy it. But if someone raves about something, you bet I'm gonna I'm try it.

I don't think she was being a bully at all.

Cinder Rail'lee said...

She's NOT a bully.. she's sharing info with others to stay clear on a company who doesn't back their product!

sheila said...

Apparently her status as a big blogger pays off again! lol. I doubt if any big companies care about us little folks bitchin about something on twitter. :)

Accidental Expert said...

What, a large multimillion dollar corporation calling a stay-at-home mom a bully?

I say write on! I may do the same...I have one of those expensive washers that never has worked right either. Maybe she'll start a trend.

Jean
stopped by from MBC