Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The man in the red suit.

Christmas is almost upon us. Part of me is glad and part of me is sad. I plan for the best presents and I take pride in seeing the expressions on the kids' and hubby's face when they open their presents Christmas morning. No socks and underwear from me. No way. No how. I've also been one to over spend, with presents stacking literally as tall as the tree. Something I started when my first born was just a toddler. Back then, it was just her and I and we had to get a three bedroom just so we could fit the rest of her toys-no lie.

These days, we've added five more people to our family and though the stack of presents are large, I can no longer fulfill my kids expectations of a zillion presents per child. So alas, it's makes me sad and guilty on Christmas day.
I don't think the other kids are too disappointed-at least they don't show it to me. But Emily, she scares me. She's put in her order months ago and expects everything that she asked for to be under the tree.
Have you met her? You would be scared too. Fortunately, she still believes in Santa and I feel sorry for that guy. Luckily, he's left the mall by Christmas so she won't be able to go there and kick him in the shin the day after.
I'm a bit worried though, because the other day we were talking about Santa not bringing her any presents if she didn't go clean her room. She started stomping her way to her room when she suddenly stopped and turned around. She squinted her eyes and twisted her lip and asked, "If Santa brings our presents, then why are they already under the tree AND I saw you wrapping some?"
I started to sweat. The thought of her knowing that I was Santa horrified me. This little girl can get mean when she wants to and I wasn't taking the blame for her not getting that Build-a-Bear gift card she wanted.
I quickly replied, "Because he is so busy with all the kids to deliver to, he asked me to help store some presents under our tree and he'd be here to stuff your stockings on Christmas morning."
I held my breath and nervously waited for her response. She cocked her right eyebrow and thought a moment. She finally grumbled, "Fine. I'll go clean my room."
After she left, I let out my breath and wiped my brow.
THAT was a close one.

9 comments:

sheila said...

lol!
I have three teens, so they understand 'being in a tight spot' this year. They are pretty good about lists and this year it's 75% CLOTHES. (wow, I know)

But I have onnnnne kid that has a ton of things on her list. She'll say....Oh, looking at this list, I feel guilty about asking for all this. (then 10 min later she'll add something else). lol

I'm glad we've gone over the fact that she's not getting everything on there, lol.

Buckeroomama said...

I seriously LOVE that pic of Emily!

She sure sounds like a force to be reckoned with. I wonder what fun (ahem!) you'll have when she's a teen? :)

Have a wonderful Christmas!!

The Four Week Vegan said...

She is a smart cookie. The Santa gifts don't get put out until the kids are in bed on Christmas Eve, which with teens is getting later and later.

Menopausal New Mom said...

It's not going to be easy to trick that little one. Good for you for thinking fast. I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and I have been making an effort not to set up the expectation of lot of presents. Fingers crossed I can keep it up, it's so tempting to buy her everything I see.

Joanne said...

She's at that cute age, where you can just see the thought processes coming together, but the wonder of Christmas wins out. Enjoy!

Molly said...

yikes! I bought most of the presents my son asked for, but not all, due to finances, but also because I think there is a lesson in there somewhere about not always getting what you ask for.

Unknown said...

I know the feeling!

I quit my job this year to stay home with the kids so our budget it slim...but I have been hunting deals and I think the kids will be happy. Luckily my oldest did not have HUGE demands so I was able to get all of them for under $75 woo hoo

Creative Junkie said...

Sigh. I don't know how much longer my youngest will believe in Santa. She once asked me why her gifts look exactly like the ones from Target, if elves are supposed to have made them? I had to tell her that Santa does that so, just in case she doesn't like it or it doesn't fit or she gets a duplicate from someone else, that it's easier for us to exchange it at the store rather than wait to send it all the way back to the North Pole. That satisifed her.


Although shopping and wrapping will be much easier once she doesn't believe, I'm so going to miss this stage. :(

yonca said...

My son has a long list for Christmas. Lol, I can only get 2 of them :)