Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Do You Give Good Comment?

Comments are a big part of blogging. Some bloggers may determine the worth of their blog by how many comments they receive daily. Some are even obsessed by it, visiting other blogs just to see how many comments they get and getting jealous when they see that a certain blogger gets twice as many comments as they do on their blog. What is so important about comments? Should we as bloggers, be so concerned with them?

Sure, it's great to get comments, but comments can play a different role in determining the popularity of your blog. According to the Blog Herald, there are 70 million blogs out in Internet land. With so many blogs, the only way to to be found may be by commenting. And commenting. And commenting. Bloggers have a lot of blogs to choose from these days, so many tend to visit bloggers that visit them-basically, because they don't have time to go searching.

Is this fair? Not really. Especially when some bloggers don't necessarily have a great blog, but get tons of comments. It can make one wonder if comments on blogs are sincere ones, or are they just being nice because the blogger visited their blog?

Returning a comment is good blogging manners. Visiting a blogger's blog that left you a comment is a common courtesy. You should always leave them a "thanks for visiting" comment, but there needs to be a line drawn between when we comment back, and when we don't.

So, do you give great comment? What's great comment? Great comment should be one that was left on a blog that you truly like, not JUST to get a comment back. Leaving a comment on a blog that you would enjoy coming back time after time, makes you a sincere commenter, unlike a fake commenter, who is just looking to get comments back. This way, you can build your reader base honestly, and you can feel good about returning the favor when they leave you a comment.

11 comments:

Barb said...

Well let me be first to comment on your comment post! I guess I don't care that much about comments, I'm just happy to get what I get.

Brian Miller said...

thanks for leaving me a comment...smiles. i will admit, i love comments...and i always give comments back. honestly though...i dont put much stock in comments that are superficial...you can tell. for me commenting is what it is about b/c i want the interaction...real interaction is when i can tell you read what i wrote. there is a rare occassion i can come up with nothing after reading a post and it may seem superficial, but not every day...

the truth is no one is marketing your blog except you...if you want to get noticed, it wont be how good you write, but how well you interact...

sheila said...

I visit everyone who visits me and I also read a lot of blogs and usually always leave a comment, although there are times I don't.

And I like all types of blogs (mostly). Sometimes I type too much and offer an opinion and get people upset, lol. (even when they ask for an opinion). But that's just me. I do however think it's kinda funny when my visitor count for the day is 120 and I have 10 comments. I wonder who was there and why they don't bother to leave a comment. It's weird.

See. Typed too much again. LOL

The Wallace Family said...

Really really like this post. I have to say as a blogger I do love comments, but honestly I don't like comments that say how sweet or that's cute. I guess that's not nice of me as a blogger, but I like to interact with my commenters and I really don't have much to say back to someone that says those words. On the other hand I blog to share my memories and crafts. It gives me something to remember these things by so it's OK when someone doesn't comment on my post! I enjoy looking back at my old posts as well. I will say it's very easy to get caught up in the bloggers that are quite popular and wish that I had the comments and followers that they had. But, at the same time I blog for fun not for a living:) Sorry I just wrote you a novel for a comment!!

Jen said...

Comments are a good way to give feedback to people. I don't think that you should comment just to get one back. If the post you read speaks to you and you have something to say about it, then comment. If not just read and enjoy what people put out there. I don't like the comments that people leave that just say "thanks for stopping by" I want people to read what I wrote and not just the comment.

Liz Mays said...

At first I'll comment to return a comment, but over time a relationship develops, and then I'm visiting not so much because it matters what they wrote that day but because I care about the blog author. They become friends to me.

And yes, comments where they're just stating that they stopped by from such and such...why bother?

Unknown said...

I would say, interacting is the key to a successful Blog. I read posts and then comment. Reading helps me learn a lot and in one way improve what I write.

Cyndy Bush said...

I have to agree. I hate when someone leaves a comment JUST saying "stopping by from blah blah". I'd rather they didn't bother!

secret agent woman said...

As a single mom who works full-time, I don't have as much time as I'd like to comment on blogs. I try to, but it's just not always possible. I tend to mostly comment when it's a post about something personal (I don't mean intimate details but about things going on in the bloggers life) or an opinion piece. I don't worry if other people get more comments than me and I don't actively try to lure people over to my blog - I figure the interactions develop naturally over time.

The Mother said...

Yes, but what if the commenter has a blog that's so inane there's nothing to say but, "WHAT?"

I've run into snags with this in the past. Someone leaves a comment on my blog, I troll desperately through theirs to find anything worth commenting on, and end up leaving something flippant or sarcastic.

THEN, she emails me complaining that I was rude. Hmmm....

So, here's my new rule: If you comment, I will visit. If I don't leave a comment, it's probably because the only thing I could possibly say wouldn't be worth the electrons to defend.

Creative Junkie said...

I never leave a comment simply to get a comment back. I leave a comment because I want to. I'm not into "drive by" commenting with a "great post" or whatever ... if I take the time to read the post, I want my comment to be just as time worthy - kwim?