Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Words with a Blogger Wednesday

Words with a Blogger Wednesday

I've been anticipating this blogger's interview!

Her name is Genny, and she's a busy woman and a has a great blog:




Tell us about yourself and your blog:
I live in California with my husband Mike and our two kids, ages 9 and 11. I'm an author, blogger, book reviewer, coffee lover, and far-from-perfect mom who’s the first to admit that after years of parenting, I’m still learning. I love being encouraged by the stories and experiences of other moms, and I especially love being able to give some of that encouragement back. Although my blog is mostly focused on moms, I write about all kinds of topics--from parenting stories and tips, to recipes, going green, taking time for yourself, reaching out to others, faith, health, photography, books, writing, and more. I hope you’ll take a minute to stop by!

When did you start blogging?
I started blogging about a year and a half ago for professional reasons for my writing, as a place to post some of my parenting articles. But then I realized blogging provided an opportunity to do more than just post information; it enabled me to connect with many other moms, writers, and bloggers. It really opened doors to several communities and friendships. I took a break from blogging last year to work on one of my book manuscripts, and then returned just before summer. I’m so glad to be back at it!

Do you make money from your blog?
I do have a few ads on my blog, but the money is really minimal. I typically put it back into my blog, with updated blog designs or something like that. My intent has never really been to set up my blog as a business.

How frequently do you post?
I post about four times a week. I run a parenting feature on my blog on Mondays called Mom-Monday where I post mom-related stories or tips and bloggers can come and link up. It’s really a day for moms to come alongside each other. I also host Talkin’ About Thursdays on Thursdays where bloggers can post about topics from the schedule I put up ahead of time, stop by, link their posts up, and get “talkin” to discover each other’s blogs. On the other days I post, I typically write about my personal experiences, things I’ve seen that have inspired me, various tips, or I share photographs. (I just got a new camera a few months ago and I loving it!)
Do you have a favorite blogger(s) that you just can't live without reading?
There are so many great blogs out there. If I could, I’d list them all. But, I do have a few favorites...Rocks in My Dryer – This is one of the first blogs I discovered when I started blogging, and I was instantly drawn to it. Shannon is a gifted writer and has a way of pulling you in. Nathan Bransford’s blog – I think any writer should subscribe to this blog. From how-to’s on query letters to industry updates, Nathan always has great information. Plus, he’ll make you laugh.Bring the Rain – When I first discovered Angie’s blog, her story about her daughter Audrey Caroline and her post The Past and The Pitcher had me glued to my computer with tears pouring down my face. She’s an inspiring woman, a beautiful writer, and she also recently published a book.

Have your readers influenced you in any way?
Definitely. I've gotten to know many of my readers through comments and, truly, it's through my readers that a sense of community has been built. I’m so thankful for that. I've discovered many great blogs and resources, too, simply by readers taking the time to share information or leave comments. It’s been wonderful. I've loved learning about people’s families, recipes, tips, successes, challenges, and what's going on in their lives. And it’s been fun “meeting” people in places like Israel, Sicily, Ireland, and even my own backyard here in Northern California.
Has blogging changed your life in any way?
It has. Blogging motivates me to write about topics I might not otherwise make time for, it helps me to capture moments I don’t want to forget, and it enables me to reach out to others with my words. It’s also opened up doors to opportunities I wouldn’t have had if I weren’t blogging. I’m lucky enough to be the managing editor at 5MinutesforFaith.com, a sister site to 5MinutesforMom.com and that opportunity opened up through blogging. I also had a parenting story (which was originally a blog post) published in the book Kirtsy Takes a Bow – A Celebration of Women’s Voices Online. Blogging has been wonderful--both personally and professionally.
What do you do when you get writer's block?
Actually, I hardly ever get writer’s block. It seems like I have the opposite problem; I have more ideas in my head than time to write them all! lol
Any other advice you might have for newbie bloggers?
I’ve had bloggers contact me with questions about growing their blogs or getting more comments, and I think it’s important to remember not to get discouraged. Visitor numbers can go up and down. Comments may or may not indicate how many people are reading your blog. And both don’t define whether or not your blog is “good”. As long as you're posting on a regular basis and providing valuable content to your readers, your blog will grow over time. I would focus on writing quality posts and connecting with others, and an increase in traffic will follow. And even more importantly, write what’s on your heart and your blog will be a reflection of you.
Thanks, Genny!

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

great interview and love all the links...off to check a few of them out...

Genny said...

Tess,

Thanks for having me over today! I appreciate it!

Genny

The Four Week Vegan said...

She sounds lovely. I will check her blog out.

Aim said...

this has been your most "enlightening" blogger yet! i just checked out Angie's stories. Wow. Lots of good information and blogs here. I'm so glad that you do words with blogger wednesdays!

Helene said...

She sounds like an amazing and inspiring lady! I'm off to check her out!!

BTW, congratulations on your book finally coming out!! YEAH!!!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks for the interview. Love checking out new people and new blogs.

veterankindergartenteacher said...

I read Genny's blog and came over today to read about her. I really enjoy her writing. I will have to come back and check out yours too Tess!

Moriah said...

Following you from MBC - look forward to checking out your blog!

http://josiahsnest.com

Elizabeth Channel said...

Wonderful interview, and I must agree, she is a great blog!

Anonymous said...

Good day


The new kid on the block is http://www.BuySellDirect.net their internet selling free service is the Future of E-commerce. If you will not use such wonderful FREE service to make extra money at home, then tell your friends and family members about it.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is 100% FREE