Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Words with a Blogger Wednesday

I'm not letting you down this week- I've made sure that I had an interview for Words With A Blogger Wednesday no matter what! I kidnapped a blogger and held him in my closet all week to make sure. I'm letting him out now-yes, I've got another dad interview for you. We needed a little testosterone around here.
This week's blogger is:
Jim from
The Busy Dad Blog

Take it away, Jim...
I’m a first-time dad. Well, that was 7 years ago, I think I’m past the statute of limitations to be able to use “first-time” as an excuse to justify how I don’t always know what I’m doing. My blog is simply a journal of the crazy stuff that happens along my journey through parenthood. This is the stuff you’d normally forget a few months after it happens unless you wrote it down somewhere. Or at least I would, since my short term memory isn’t what it used to be.

When did you start blogging?
I started in the summer of 07. My job back then involved a 4-hour commute on the train every day. I really don’t like to read and I have a laptop, so I figured I’d write instead. I had never read a single blog before the day I decided to start blogging.

Do you make money from your blog?
Nope. I’m not against it though. I just haven’t found anything worth my while. I work in internet marketing so I know that making any decent money off my blog is close to impossible, so I save myself the effort and focus my time on coming up with amusing posts instead.

How frequently do you post?
Nowadays? Haha like once every two weeks if you’re lucky. My life is just too hectic to expect much more. It used to be twice a week when I started out. Hey, at least I can be proud of the fact that I live up to the title of my blog.

Do you have a favorite blogger(s) that you just can't live without reading?
I love to read stuff that makes me laugh. That said, http://www.whiskeyinmysippycup.com/ and http://momo-fali.blogspot.com/ are must-visits. There are about 5 more that I make a point to visit regularly for different reasons, but if you want the funnies, look no further.

Have your readers influenced you in any way?
They haven’t influenced me content-wise; however they have kept me motivated and inspired. There is no better feeling in the world than knowing that if you put something out there, a whole bunch of people will nod their heads in agreement or laugh with you (or at you, but it’s all in good fun). Without my readers, I don’t think I’d be half as motivated to do what I do. Feedback is very important to me. So is validation. My readers give me both. I have made some really close friends through blogging, and have been fortunate to have met several in person. And they are just as cool as they are on the internet. Who would’ve thought?

Has blogging changed your life in any way?
It has taken over every aspect of my life. It’s an addiction. Let’s just leave it at that.

What do you do when you get writer's block?
I walk away. I love blogging because in the end I’m the boss of my blog. If I’m too busy to post, so be it. If I’d rather hang out with friends and family, so be it. Or I drink. It is amazing how a couple beers or some alone time with a nice bottle of Scotch can open up the creative pathways.

Any other advice you might have for newbie bloggers?
Yes. DON’T TRY SO HARD. Just do it. Readers will come. Friends will be made. There is no short cut to a successful blog (I define success as having a regular readership). Just write for yourself and participate in the “community” by visiting other blogs you like and leaving comments that matter (i.e. a “LOL that was great!” comment is crap). People will see you around and do the same. And the folks who can identify with the stuff you put out there will become your readers and stalkers. Also, join Twitter.

Thanks!

Become a victim-er, I mean a featured blogger! Comment on here and include your URL and I'll sneak on over to check out your blog! :)

11 comments:

BusyDad said...

Who is that brilliant blogger you interviewed? ;) Thanks for the pimpage! Much appreciated. This was fun.

Aim said...

it's nice to see the dad's getting some credit, too. Thanks, Tess, for expanding my horizons. :-)

Carrie Ella said...

Well, that was fun! I get such a kick out of reading blogs by dads because they really do have such a different perspective on the whole parenting front. And they really don't seem to worry as much about being judged when they post photos of or write about their friends, outings, BBQs - whatever - even when it involves drinking in front of their kids. Now that's my kinda daddy!

I'm gonna go check out his blog so thanks for the heads up!

Heather said...

LOL! That was great!

Oh. Not what you wanted? Sheesh you're hard-to-please Dad too I guess.

WeaselMomma said...

I so love to read Busy Dad. Now he just toys with us loyal followers and throws us a bone once in a while, JK. Jim is great and one of the nicest people on the internet. Every once in a while he even pops by my blog and leaves a comment. He's a fun guy and a great read.

Ms. Maxwell said...

Where BusyDad goes, many [women] follow. He's just a magnet like that.

Jennifer said...

This was a great interview! I'm going to have to try and visit his blog and the two he mentioned!

Veronica Lee said...

Visiting his blog now!!

Helene said...

I'm definitely going to have check out his blog!!! He seems to have a wonderful sense of humor (and Lord knows I need some humor in my life!) I love that there are dad bloggers out there!!

SurprisedMom said...

LOL, that was great! Sorry, couldn't resist. Great interview with BusyDad. I read him pretty regularly now. I really enjoy his posts. Glad you tapped him to fulfill your testosterone needs.

Donna@www.bethanybeachboutique.blogspot.com said...

Great guest post...checking out your blog too!