Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Why everyone should take photos outside.

Some of you already know that I do photography. Not as much these days as I'd like, but this is the perfect time of the year for me; It's nice out without being too hot. I don't do indoor photos unless I absolutely have to. If I were to run a class on photography, I would tell everyone to go outside and take photos.

Outdoor lighting is usually perfect and ou really can't go wrong, but there are some common mistakes that people can make. One thing is thinking that your subject should be in the bright light of the sun. Wrong. I used to be one of those people. Iused to hope for a sunny and bright day, but now I hope for cloudy days. Why? they offer just the right lighting. In the article,
How do I take great outdoor photos? the author states, High clouds turn the entire sky into a giant lighting softbox, and all of nature becomes your portrait studio.

Another mistake one may make is posing their subject in the direction where the sun is, thus causing them to squint. Positioning your subject with the sun behind them allows them to be able to see and not squint.

Of course, according to the article, Basic Photography Tutorial, you still need to rely on these three things:
ISO-Controls sensitivity to light
Shutter speed-How long light can get through to the sensor
Aperture-How big of hole the light can pass through

They might sound scary, but most digital cameras make it easy for you to control them for a perfect photo.

Ok, now go get your camera and go outside and take some awesome photography!

4 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i am pretty photo ignorant but there are a few things here that will work practically for me. nice. have a wonderful weekend!

Annette Piper said...

After many years, I think I've worked out the best light for taking pics of my jewellery , but I'm still to master pics of people! The cloudy day does work well for me though :)

Creative Junkie said...

I just got my Nikon D90 and can't wait to go out and experiment. I have the hardest time with aperture, ISO and shutter speed ... they just haven't *clicked* with me yet.

Heatherlyn said...

I agree that outdoor light is definitely the best. I like overcast days, too. Too bad they are usually too cold. I try for near sunset hours or places with completely even lighting. Indoor light is sooo tricky.