Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Words with a Blogger Wednesday

Words with a Blogger Wednesday
This week's blogger runs a food blog-how yummy!
Take it away, Peabody!
Hi, I'm Peabody. I'm a 30 something freelance photographer and writer. I live north of Seattle with my husband, crazy cocker spaniel and little fuzzy bunny. I run two food blogs. One that is a baking blog, Culinary Concoctions by Peabody (http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/) and a Pacific Northwest Cuisine blog called Northwest Noshings (http://northwestnoshings.com/)
When did you start blogging? I started blogging in June of 2005.
Tell us about what kind of blog you have and what made you decide to run a blog like this? I started the baking blog because that is what I love to do the most. My blog is my creative outlet as I married a picky eater. My other blog I started because I knew very little about Pacific Northwest Cuisine before moving out here four years ago. I thought running a blog would be a good way to get me out and explore the local cuisine and make it as well.
Do you make money from your blog?
Yes and no. I do not run ads or anything like that. So in the traditional sense, no, I do not make money from my blog. But I have gotten many photography jobs as well as writing jobs from people reading my blog.

How frequently do you post?
My baking blog used to be three times a week. But I developed carpal tunnel and so it has gone down to twice a week. My other blog is only a few times a month.

Do you have a favorite blogger(s) that you just can't live without reading?
I love Jen of Use Real Butter. I love Hannah of Bittersweet, as I am amazed what she can turn into a vegan baked good. I like Kevin from Closet Cooking, he does a lot of great dinner ideas.

Have your readers influenced you in any way?
Yes. I do have a pastry background and can make complicated and fancy desserts. But what good is that if 95% or more of my blog readers wont go out and make it at home. I really want people to be able to see a recipe on my blog and think, I can make that.

Has blogging changed your life in any way?
Oh my, yes. I never would have thought in a million years that the girl with blurred, overexposed pictures 3 ½ years ago would now be getting paid to take pictures of food. Or write about food for that matter. Also, I have met some incredible people through food blogging. It is an amazing community of highly supportive people.

What do you do when you get writer's block?
Since I tell a lot of stories about me and my family on my blog (usually embarrassing ones) I go back through old photos to see if that can jog my memory.
Any other advice you might have for newbie bloggers?
Be patient! I ran my blog for a year and a half before people really started to read it. Also, don't go around begging to be put on someone's blog roll. If someone leaves a comment on my blog, I go and check out their blog. I don't list a lot of blogs on my blog roll because I have to have read it for about a year before it goes on. If you want to increase readers join contests and get on sites like Tastespotting. Run your blog for you and no one else. You have to love what you are doing in order to have a successful blog. If you don't love what you are doing you will most likely get burnt out, which a lot of people do. And for goodness sake, have fun with it! Food blogging is suppose to be fun!
Consistently post.
My baking blog gets a lot of traffic. I have two post a week, sometimes more. My other blog gets hardly any traffic, but I only post a few times a month. You get out of it what you put into it.
Thanks, Peabody!
Want to be on Words with a Blogger Wednesday?
Then comment and let me know, duh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these posts! I always find great bloggers that I never would have discovered otherwise.

Helene said...

I'm gonna go check out her blog! I love foodie blogs! I have found so many wonderful recipes this way!!

Thanks for sharing her with us!!