Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The days of wearing halter tops and baggy pants to school

I knew that this week was going to be chaos with the baby scheduled to come on Monday and my other kids starting school by the end of the week. I am watching Zach while my daughter is in the hospital and I'm thinking that I should have taken the whole week off to handle everything going on in between.


Emily is starting kindergarten and Jordon is starting high school-a double whammy for me. We went school shopping way ahead of time since I knew this week would be hectic. While shopping at Gordman's (my past tense favorite store-a future post about THIS episode) Emily wanted to help in deciding on what we would get her to wear at school. I told her that she could pick out a couple of items, so she ran over to the clothing rack and spun them around, looking for the perfect outfit. She found several items and some of them were a bit too wild for school. We narrowed them down to a shorts outfit and a halter top black dress.


I wasn't too thrilled with it, but she insisted on getting it, so I put it in the pile of outfits we were getting. When we were done, I met up with the hubby and showed him the outfits. He wasn't too thrilled with the dress either, so he suggested that we "accidentally" leave it behind. I reminded him that Emily had the memory of an elephant-she could tell you what she had for supper on September 22nd last year-down to how many peas were on her plate, if it was a full moon, and what she was wearing at the time.


He chose to ignore me and quickly put the dress on a rack. As we headed for the checkout, Emily (who had been with grandma) joined up with us and excitedly told her dad about the black dress. Did you see my pretty dress, Daddy? Huh? Did ya? He looked over at me and I gave him the "I told you so" look and motioned for him to run back and hope that it was still there.

After we checked out, Emily told us that this dress would be what she was going to wear the first day of school. When I tried to tell her that I already had a dress picked out, she crossed her hands in front of her and wrinkled her nose.


Fine, I grumbled.


Later that week, we had registration for school and I came home with a pile of paperwork laying out the rules of the school and dress code, etc. Upon reading the dress code, I found out that halter tops weren't allowed to be worn to school- along with flip flops, baggy pants, and headbands-whaaat???



Oh great. Maybe they haven't met Emily-the boss of everything living and breathing? I did not want to tell her that her new favorite dress was going to have to be saved to wear on the weekends instead.


Telling her turned out to not be so bad. In fact, she took it quite well.



Although, the condition was she got to wear it at home for the next four days-straight.

5 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles. beautiful pics...love the dress...so how did they define baggy pants...my boy is a rail, everything is baggy...ha.

secret agent woman said...

Too bad - that is a lovely little dress.

Congratulations on the new grandchild!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

She is adorable! What a cute dress too! I love your compromise! lol!

Unknown said...

Hello Tess,

You're daughter is darling and I love the dress, my son went through a faze when he was about 3 where he wanted Tommy Hilfiger clothes, I think he liked the colors or something!

~Lauri
http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com

Creative Junkie said...

the dress, and the model, are both super cute!