Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

The mean man in the white jacket is not so mean anymore.

Unfortunately, our household has become germ infested with a case of strep throat. After two days of Emily running a fever, we decided to take her to the doctor. If you are a long time reader, you know that Emily has a total phobia of doctors which stemmed from having to go to the dentist awhile back and having major dental work done. After that, she was all like, I'M NOT GOING TO ANY DOCTOR AND I WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERABLE IF YOU MAKE ME GO.

When she started getting sick, I should have been all worried about what the heck she had, but in all honesty, I was more concerned if we were going to have to borrow a straight jacket or promise her four million dollars to get her to go.

So, when I calmly explained to her that we just might have to visit the most horrible person in the world, she surprised me by jumping up and yelling, YEAH!!!

I was all like, Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? Did you hear me right? The doctor. We are going to the doctor. The person you hate more than anyone and how you would even rather get your ears pierced then go there?

As she was still jumping she yelled, "Mommy, I WANT to go to the doctor. They have Princess stickers!"

Okay, some how I must of missed this transformation from thinking that the doctor is the devil to the doctor being the-bestest-person-in-the-world-who-has-Princess-stickers. Ok, I can now start believing in little fairies and Santa Claus.

So, we got ready and she was all smiles all morning and telling me how she was going to let the doctor look at her throat and eyes and even her belly button. Everything was great until it was time to go. Then, right before her dad was ready to take her, she stops right in front of the door and states, "I'm not going".

I tried not to panic. I asked her why she changed her mind and she tells me that, well, she decided that she already has enough Princess stickers. I instantly started calculating in my head how much money we had in the bank and if it would be enough to bribe her. A second mortgage, maybe?

I then remembered that we had also promised her a visit to Whitey's for Smurf ice cream-her favorite treat to eat. I took a deep breath and crossed my fingers and shouted, "Don't forget, you get to get Smurf ice cream!"

She thought a moment and then pointed her finger at me and said, "Ok, I'll go this one time."

Thank you God, I thought to myself. I then promised to go to church on Sunday for the next three thousand months.

So how did it go? She did great except for yelling at the doctor for making her eyes water when they stuck that stick down her throat. Oh, and they only had Barbie stickers, so she wasn't to happy about that. I'll have to make a mental note to call them and tell them that next time they better have Princess stickers-the fate of the world depended on it.

8 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Ah, princess stickers! Somehow my daughter is beginning to like school now because the teacher gives out 'ballerina stickers' (only they are Ariel, The Little Mermaid stickers)... Stickers have almost always come through for us. :)

Lee said...

This is how I know when my kids are really sick. Whenever they say they have an ailment, I tell them we will have to go the doctor to get a shot. It's amazing how quickly they heal!

sheila said...

Princess stickers, lol, now that is totally cute. HOW DARE THEY not have them in stock?

We used to call the strep cultures 'tickle tests' so that they'd have it in their head that it 'tickled' and didn't hurt...thus there was no crying. lol.

White lies aren't bad I don't think.

Aim said...

you've got your hands full with that one!

Reyna Meinhardt said...

Hi! I just found you on MBC and am now following you! Great blog!

Rocky Mountain Memoirs said...

I am not above bribery. My daughter has outgrown princess stickers, though. Darn it!

ConnieFoggles said...

I think that doctor's offices keep the sticker industry in business. Oh and the Smurf Ice Cream company too :)

I hope Emily is feeling better soon.

Creative Junkie said...

The power of ice cream and stickers is awesome, isn't it?

I hope she feels better!