Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Never Drive While InTEXTicated!

I have always been concerned about my daughter texting behind the wheel. She says that she doesn't, but would any kid tell you that they were? It would be like telling a parent that they drank and drive-most wouldn't tell. It's scary to think that the driver on the other side of the road coming your way, may be looking down at their cell phone instead of watching the road.
Driving is a task on it's own and when you add another distraction from you concentrating on your driving, it makes for a deadly consequence.

When I found Mom Sends the Msg , I had to join the fight to stop texting drivers. Mom Sends the Msg is a public service campaign initiated by TheMotherhood.com aimed at reducing distracted driving.
They are a group of awesome moms who care about the safety of their children and yours. Let's all take the pledge to reduce distraction during driving! You can visit their site and sign the pledge to help spread the word on the dangers of driving distracted and maybe we can help enforce that the dangers of distracted driving be included in driver's education classes.

I never realized how bad it was out there and how many people think that they can handle texting, going on the Internet, or other dangerous distractions while being responsible of controlling a 2 ton piece of machinery.
Now would a great time to get involved because they are even having a contest right now!
You can create a PSA - a videotaped public service announcement - to send the msg to drive safely and not be distracted behind the wheel.
Winners will receive:

First Place - $1,000
Second Place - $500
Third Place - $250
Fourth Place - $250

The deadline for entries is October 23rd, 2009.

So, please join us in the fight to keep fingers on the wheel and not on the phone!

8 comments:

Nicole said...

I HATE when people text while driving! Just yesterday some young girl almost hit me while I was driving, and my daughter was with my in the back seat! It was really scary.

eight helping hands said...

I just signed the pledge and will be posting the video on my website as well!
I am terrified of my 15 year old getting into an accident, when she starts driving, all she does is text all day long!
It is illegal in the state of VA to text while driving! If she gets caught texting while driving she can get her license revoked until age 18 or 21! And that depends on what kind of mood the judge is in!
Thanks for making me aware of this webiste and I will pass it on!

2Wired2Tired said...

Thank you for sharing this. This is something that bothers me greatly. My husband is terrible about texting and checking emails while driving. Stupid Iphone. I rant and rave and quote statistics to him, I think I'm finally making headway.

I like your blog. Found you on Mom Bloggers Follow Me Group. I'm now following and looking forward to reading more.

Rocky Mountain Memoirs said...

This is a concern for me, as well. My oldest son will be turning 15 next month and I have preached to him for a couple years now about the dangers of cell phones while driving. I get so infuriated when I see people doing it. How dare they think whatever they have to say/text/read is more important than the rest of us on the road! I will be checking out this website. Thanks for sharing!

California Driving Permit said...

Thanks for sharing the informations,
Teens should be undergo some test before they go for Driving.

Aspen Real Life said...

My children are not old enough to drive yet but I can imagine it is scary enough for parents to have driving teenagers let alone ad a seriously dangerous habit.

I guess there is an incredible video out that will scare the phone out of any teenagers driving hands forever. I'll try and find it for you.

Sorry that I have been the worse Follow Me Offender out there. I am making a huge effort to go through each person on the list and find those that I enjoy, like yours.

eight helping hands said...

I gave you an award challenge on my blog! Come check it out!

Theta Mom said...

Thank you for sharing this, it is a real concern for ALL of us! BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It was nice to see you! I've been following you from MBC (I'm on page four of your google followers) and would love if you followed me as well! :)