Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Photography-Lighting

When I do a photo session, my main issue is lighting. I almost always take my photos outside because I hate indoor light. Our house is very dark, and finding quality light is almost impossible. I have a Lightsphere, an off camera flash, and a light filter for my camera flash. The only thing is, I hardly use them at all. I prefer natural light. I love natural light. I live for natural light. Sound corny? I know, slap me!
An article that I read recently on the Internet titled, Finding Quality Light , had some helpful information on the different light sources that photographers look for. Anyone that is having problems with finding the right light or what to do about harsh light, may want to read it.
An interesting section of the article talked about back lighting and how newbies are taught to avoid this because of the harsh result. But, if you do it just right, you can make an effect known as rim lighting, which produces a beautiful glow around your subject.
Being self taught-meaning, that I just bought the equipment and experimented and practised til I got it right-I wasn't aware of the different lighting techniques, such as, balance light, filter light, block light, etc.
Another techique is using fill light when taking photos. The article, How to add a Fill Light When Taking a Photo explains about filler light in more detail.
Makes me think that maybe I should read a book or two on the subject. Especially if I hope to have an indoor studio someday, so I may take photos all year round and not just certain seasons. Could be more profitable that way!

4 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I'm like you... I play around with the equipment (yeah, my point-and-shoot!) to figure things out, although I'm sure it will be easier if I just set aside time and read up and learn properly! :)

Vee said...

Hey - thanks for stopping by my blog! You take some beautiful pictures! =]

Annette Piper said...

I started by taking very bad photos of my jewellery. They were awful LOL. I would see all these amazing shots and so started experimenting. The place I photograph has changed over the years.

It started outside on the boot box at a certain time of day,then the front verandah only if it was cloudy, then it went to the kids trampoline in a bought light box at a certain time of the afternoon and only if it was full sun. Then it was in the study late afternoon when there was some sun coming in, in a homemade light reflective set up. Then back to the bought light box, this time with lights. Then back to the homemade one with natural morning light through our big windows. I've been there for a while now.

Luckily Australia has lots of sunshine - I think trying to work out how to take them inside by experimenting would send me crazy!

Creative Junkie said...

Lighting is a huge issue for me in photography - I can never figure out what angle it should come from and as a result, my photos (the ones that don't come out blurry)are so-so at best.