Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In a blink of an eye

It's funny how you don't notice your children growing up until something hits you on the head like a ton of bricks, like your oldest having a baby. Then, she wants to move out and then she only seems to call if she needs money or a babysitter. I realized that she didn't need me to smother her with my over protectiveness. Then once that has been brought to your attention, you start to notice that your other children are hitting some milestones that must of happened when you were busy feeling sorry for yourself. For example, I pick my son (who is twelve) from school every day and have been for years. I park across the street and down the block to avoid the crazy parents-picking-up-their-kids traffic and then walk up the path to meet him. He informed me the other day that he was old enough to walk to the car by himself and how embarrassing it was for me to have to walk him to the car. SO, PLEASE, WOULD YOU WAIT IN THE CAR? I replied by telling him that there were too many crazy people out there and even though it was a nice neighborhood, he could still get stolen and I wouldn't know it.
He just rolled his eyes and everyday he would ask me again to please wait for him in the car. I began to answer, "Fine." But when it came down to actually doing it, I chicken out and would still meet him up the pathway. Then when he would come out, he would just shake his head and walk past me like I didn't exist.
Yesterday, when it was time to pick him up, I decided to wait on a bench that was some yards away that I could see him but he wouldn't really see me. When he got out of school and I could see him walking up the sidewalk and not seeing me, I could see a look of relief on his face. Then, somehow he noticed me and down went the shoulders and head. I know, I'm a dork. I'm just not ready to let another one of my kids get too big to need their mom to protect them a bit too much.
Or maybe I'll try again today- I wouldn't put any bets on it though.

11 comments:

Dana said...

that was a sweet post!

Anonymous said...

I can remember those days with my older dd who is now getting married. I'll be going through it soon with my 9 year old. I get you and I'm right there with you.

Unknown said...

Hmmm that's kinda sad...but I think every kid goes through the same phase.When I was in highschool, I remembered hating to see my dad pick me up at school or having a school service to bring me home. It's uncool I thought...I guess you just need t give him some space.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. My DD8 wanted to walk home from school by herself when she first started school. Granted we live only 3 houses away from the school but I still liked to wait for her at the school gate with the other mums :)

In the end I told her that I wasn't waiting for her. I was standing there chatting with my friends...lol

Anonymous said...

I can feel your 'pain'. I offered to drive my freshman to high school so she wouldn't have to sit on the bus for an hour. The look I got was classic. Her reply was that the school traffic would be to hard for me to maneuver. Uh huh.

Barb said...

Age 12 is so hard....on everybody!

Anonymous said...

I am not looking forward to the day when my baby boy doesn't think I'm "cool enough" to be seen with him! I love watching him grow up and learn and discover new things; I just don't want it to happen too fast!

stickymama said...

12? Is that when it's supposed to start? Because my kindergartener has already mastered the roll-of-the-eyes-exasperation when he says, "Fine!"

stickymama said...

12? Is that when it's supposed to start? Because my kindergartener has already mastered the roll-of-the-eyes-exasperation when he says, "Fine!" How much more of this?

Unknown said...

Oh how sweet! The rolling eyes is funny.

I'm sure it's harder on you. IT was hard the first time I dropped my little in the baby sitter's house.

It's funny the days you remember they get so excited to see you and now, they roll their eyes. Ah, being a mom, I tell you.

Anonymous said...

Yes mom you need to let me walk the 5 sec walk to the car