Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Getting Ready for Winter With Lots of Work Around the House

Guest Blogger, Omar Schwartz

Here in the Midwest, we know plenty of tricks to cut down costs over the winter. Word on the street is that it's supposed to come early this year, so my family spent last weekend getting the house ready. Last year we purchased a backup generator that turned out to be a life-saver when our power went out for nearly a week, so we wanted to make sure it was in working order for sure.
Once we determined that the generator would still work this year, we spent some time adding insulation to different areas of the house. We have an older house, so it's really easy for drafts to get in and lower the temperature. After adding insulation, we also installed a storm door in front of our front door, kitchen door, and the back door. This should help us to keep some of that cold out as well.
After finishing everything, we were able to tell the difference already as the temperatures outside started to drop but it stayed warm inside. My daughter cooked a great dinner for us while my husband and I watched some satellite television that we got after looking at this Satalite tv comparison, and then the whole family sat down together to eat. After we'd finished eating, we all even played a board game together while listening to Christmas music. We're excited now for the holidays to come!

1 comments:

Annette Piper said...

I love the christmas lead up - with relatively young children in the house, they so look forward to the whole build up!