Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The life of a mom

I read a blog post last week about what a mom should be paid to be a mom. I've read about this topic many times before and most come up with the sum of $200,0000 to $500.0000 a year. I could dig that. The mom went on to complain that she worked outside of the house and did everything around the house too. This got me to thinking that no woman ever sat down one day and said to herself, "Hey, I think I will get married, have kids and then take care of every one's needs, wants and desires-and please, please, please can I be the one to scrub the toilet out every day too?"

No, we didn't. We just want love and to have a family and for some reason, everyone just assumes that a mom's job is to do everything. Our home has the same rules too. In fact, if my husband sees me actually not doing anything and watching a tv program, he makes a snide remark or feels that since I'm "not doing anything" could I please get him a drink? Heaven forbid if I sit down for a minute if there's a dirty dish in the sink or a clothing article on the floor.

I decided last night (for the thousandth time) that everyone needed to help around the house. When I told everyone about my plan, my oldest that happened to be over laughed. "Mom, you know how THAT goes."

I was determined to stick to my plans this time and I figured that if everyone picked two chores that they were at least willing to do, then maybe it would work this time. So, my husband picked dishes except for the nights he has to work and keeping our room picked up. Jordon didn't volunteer anything, so he was given the bathroom (just tidying it up, not the gross toilet stuff) and his room. If you've seen his room, then you would agree that this be a chore. Emily wanted the living room-good choice since I usually pick it up by habit every time I walk through it. I smiled and sat back in my chair. I finally was going to get this house under control.

Did everything go as plan? Well, before I went to bed, I went into the kitchen to get a drink and found a sink full of dirty dishes. When I went to brush my teeth this morning, I had to close my eyes so I wouldn't barf at the sight of blue toothpaste plastered all over the sink. Our room was actually clean but when I went get an outfit out of my side of the closet, I found all the dirty clothes shoved on top of my clean clothes.

Ok, maybe THATS why us moms just do it all ourselves-maybe a mom had coined that saying of "If you want it done right, just do it yourself."

10 comments:

Aim said...

I've tried to get everybody involved. it's easier just to do it when I have time. :-)

Terra said...

Oh so true so true!

Ann said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I even have had a chore list on the fridge which went good for a week. Thinking about that, I should talk with my family again tonight. Let's get this ball rolling again.

Tess, I would love a button for the Hallmark contest so I can post it this way.
My email: ann dot guns at mac dot com

Rae Ann said...

It has been my experience that you can have help or you can have it your way, but not both. I can remember late in my pregnancy getting down on my knees to scrub a toilet. I asked my hubs, "How pregnant do I have to be for you to help around the house?" He sheepishly chipped in for a little while.

I'm following you from the MBC Under 100 Club. I'm looking forward to reading more!

eight helping hands said...

I got your 5 cards in the mail today! Very nice!
And I gave up on getting help around the house along time ago. I just do it all myself now. Much easier and less painful.

Jenjen @GottaLoveMom said...

I have a note in our kitchen bulletin that says:
Doing chores is a non-paying job
because
loving and helping your mom is
priceless.

My kids have doodled other stuff on it but the newest doodle is:
For everything else, there's Dad's mastercard...
I think I have a blog post on it a few weeks ago...

Jenjen @GottaLoveMom said...

We are super multi-tasking mom...although it's easier to do everything on our own, we still have to delegate some to the rest.

Raising family is like managing a company - have to share the responsibilities

Here's my take on kids doing chores:
http://gottalovemom.blogspot.com/2009/03/chores_09.html

Helene said...

You said it all!!! Honestly, sometimes I think my kids and husband act helpless because they know I'll end up doing everything anyway. Sometimes it's just easier to do it myself and just get it over with!!

Came over here again so I could vote for ya!!

Jennifer said...

LOL! In my house it's me or my hubby... and 95% of the time, I have to do it!

Creative Junkie said...

Oh, can I relate to this!

Every so often, I try to lay down the law about picking up and cleaning and it lasts for a couple of days and then disappears.

If I want it done right, I have to do it myself.

If I want it done at all, I still have to do it myself.