Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Words with a blogger Wednesday

It's Wednesday again and that means it's Words with a blogger Wednesday!

This week's awesome blogger is:

Amy from Thoughts from the Mrs.

Take it away, Amy!

Tell us about your blog:
My name is Amy and you can find me over at Thoughts from the Mrs. I like to share stories from my life as a stay-at-home mom. And to thank my readers for putting up with my stories and many pictures of my son, I do reviews and host giveaways as a way to pamper them and keep things fun.

When did you start blogging and what made you decide to blog?
I started blogging shortly after becoming a mom. Quite frankly, I was bored at times when Alex would sleep all day long and I needed a way "out". I had my first blog on Myspace for friends and family to read then moved over to blogger last April. *p.s. I'm getting ready to start the process of moving again. Hopefully by January.*

Do you make money from your blog?
Nothing worth mentioning yet. I would love to pick up more sponsors and create a small income for myself. I was offered advertising from a brand name but I turned them down because I felt it wasn't true to what I stood for or to my readership. If I'm going to sell adspace, I'm going to make sure it's for something I believe in and support.

What do you do to network/promote your blog to bring in readers?
Comment on other blogs, e-mail people who leave comments (if possible). I also like entrecard, mom bloggers club, and posh mama. Another cool thing is requesting my giveaways be posted on 5 minutes for mom. That works well depending on the giveway.

How do you balance blogging and family?
I blog when my son is napping, at his Grandparent's for the day, or in his bed for the night. He comes first. (sometimes I can sneak into my e-mail when he's watching a video too).

How frequently do you post?
I post as often as I can. I'd like to post daily but sometimes "life happens" and the blog gets put on the back burner while I tend to something more important at the time.Do you own a business and blog about your business?No, I don't. The blog is busy enough on it's own. I can't imagine running a business from home on top of that.

What do you recommend to blog about?
Blog about what's on your mind and heart. I try to always remember my readers when I blog. There are things I would SO love to write about but I feel it's unnecessary or hurtful and I choose to be responsible and keep it to myself instead.Have your readers influenced you in any way?I don't know that I've been influenced by my readers as much as I've been humbled by them. Every time I see a new subscription or an add on someone's Google Reader, I'm blown away. I often wonder "Why me? Why do they care what I have to say?" That is the reason that I try and return every comment or e-mail a short note to each person. I appreciate all of them and want them to feel valued and appreciated.

Who are your favorite bloggers?
I love Jen over at Cheaper Than Therapy, Rachel at Following in My Shoes, and Toni at A Daily Dose of Toni.
There are many, MANY more blogs I read every day these are just a few favorites.

What is your blogging style?
I try to write as if I'm talking to a friend. I'm not personally a fan of big words or a fake persona. I just like to be myself and say what's on my mind.

What do you do when you get writer's block?
Ha! Well, if I ever get writer's block, I just watch my son for about 5 or 10 minutes. He always gives me "bloggable moments" although, I don't always share them.

Do you have any advice for newbie bloggers?
1. Decide what you want your blog to be and make it happen. There are always people to meet and connections to make. Most of them are only a comment or an e-mail away. 2. Enjoy yourself. If you're not enjoying what you do, change it.
Thanks, Amy!
Would you like to be my next victim-er, I mean interview?
Comment on this post and I will stalk you and peek in your windows to watch your family eat dinner just like the Australian guy that follows that gecko character on Geico-Or, I'll just send you an email with a list of interview questions for you to answer.

7 comments:

Dee said...

YAY Amy! LOL..good interview!

appleandi said...

Good job, Amy! It's fun to learn a bit about how you started blogging.

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

It is interesting to hear about the behind the scenes stuff, thanks for the info!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Great insight into how you got started blogging!

Heather (How to be a Woman..?) said...

I enjoyed that interview. You sound quite down to earth, Amy. Can't wait to check out your blog!

Kim said...

Enjoyed the interview. Thanks!

Astute observation about e-mailing back to your commenters. I recently made a comment on a really big blog, inserting myself into the discussion with the other readers--never dreaming the writer of the blog would even read it, let alone e-mail me back! That personal attention worked--I'm a loyal follower of her blog now.

Kate said...

i have always loved Amy's blog, she's so sweet.