Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Have you seen my son?

When I went through the teen years with my oldest daughter, we had our share of teen drama and I always thought that things would be much easier when my son reached the hormonal years. Boy, was I wrong.

It all happened so fast, I didn't know what hit me. It was like one day he went to bed a happy and caring little boy, and woke up a grumpy I-hate-the-world teenager. He's been stressing me out for the past couple of months with his mood swings. One second he's happy, the next, he's ready to bite my head off. I'm afraid to even have a conversation with him, for fear of what personality will jump out of my little male Cybil.

This was a conversation we had the other day...

Me: "So, what classes are you taking this semester?"

Jo: "Grumble, grumble, grumble..."

Me: "Um, what?"

Jo: "I SAAAAID, I HAVE SPANISH, ART CLASS, AND THE SAME CLASSES AS LAST QUARTER!!!!!!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Me: What the heck??

He won't tell me a thing that's going on in his life and it drives me crazy. I just get 'I don't know' as an answer. How in the heck do you get in a teenage boy's head? I'm about ready to send him to a head doctor and sneak a tape recorder in the room. I so want my little five year old back-the sweet and caring little boy who loved his mom.

God help me if I survive to deal with when my youngest turns into a teen...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gosh, this scares me!!! ahh! I feel for you!

Getrealmommy said...

You are freaking me out!!!! I am going to have three teenage boys to deal with some day!

secret agent woman said...

If it helps, people's brains begin a massive re-organization in the teen years which doesn't completely end until early twenties or thereabouts. So, for a good long while, after a huge portion of neural pathways have been severed and the new ones not yet forged, teens operate with a literally impaired brain. Typically, teens are impulsive, moody, don't see consequences, having little control over escalating emotions and are self-centered. It's a trial, for sure, and a time of battle-picking. So hard to walk the line between setting limits and not engaging in the emotional storms that happen.

Annette Piper said...

Ooooh, I know. Mine seems to have completely switched off to everything except the things he's passionate about (and there's not many of those). AND he's not even 13 until next week. He's taller than me, is getting a deep voice and the attitude.... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

There's a book out that describes exactly what secret agent woman is talking about - can't remember the title but I believe it. Both my kids went through 'a change' in their somphore year of high school. My sweet daughter turned goth (she just turned 27 and is becoming a mini me LOL ) and my son unfortunately started to head down the path of addiction. He's 30 now and things are worse then ever. Anyway-that's another story. Hang in there Mom and keep talking to him-moms are tough right? Just smile and give him a little space (but just alittle) and keep talking :D