Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Santa, sickness and baby dolls

Saturday, we went to a Christmas party for the kids at my husband's work. They have this every year and it's awesome. They have milk and cookies and a clown show followed by a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus and each child gets a present. They only go up to age 11, so the older ones don't get presents anymore. I still bring them for company and I make Jordon go up with Emily because she thinks Santa is in cahoots with the dentist and will insist on taking a tooth in trade for a present.

There usually are about fifty kids and the wait can be pure torture for a four year old to wait until their name is called. The kids always seem to be one of the last names called each year and I think this is good for them to learn that patience is a virtue and well, I just get a big kick out of seeing them squirm and give me looks like, Did they forget me? I know they forgot me! One of the pleasures of parenthood.

So, after just about EVERY child got their present, they finally announced Emily's name. She jumped up, without thinking about that horrible man dressed in red and how scary he was and grabbed her present. I was very proud of her for going up by herself and facing her fears. Now, maybe we can get that mall Santa photo after all-hmmm, doubt it.

When she opened her present and realized it was a baby doll and stroller, she proceeded to smile and say it was just what she wanted-though I know that she was eyeing the barbies and easy bake ovens that the older girls got. You see, my daughter would rather play with stuff that eight year olds play with than what other four year old girls play with. I don't blame the people that pick out the gifts by age group but insist that the hubby request to add her to the seven year old girl ideas next year and not to ask any questions about it.

We had fun and I already am looking forward to it next year but, apparently being around a thousand people in a small room landed me in bed with some kind of virus that totally wiped me out for the whole day on Sunday and am still a little woozy today. At least it got me out of a day of having to prepare any meals and whatever else came up-thanks hubby! It's been awhile since he's had to make his way through the kitchen. I wonder if it took him awhile to remember how to turn on the stove?

10 comments:

Helene said...

The party sounds like a lot of fun!! My daughter also wants the girlie things that are meant for older girls, like all those beading sets and the baking things!!

Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Lori said...

I hope you are feeling much better soon. The party sounds like it is fun for all of you. What is it with kids...it seems they love the things that are for older kids. Did you sit on Santa's lap too?

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That sounds like a fun party! I haven't been to one with Santa at it since I was a kid.

Dana said...

sounds like such a nice party!!!

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

I hope you feel better soon. My husband's work usually has a party for the kids. They do crafts and get a small present from Santa.

My kids say, that's not the real santa, just a helper.

Anonymous said...

I hope you start feeling better!

The Christmas party sounds like it was a lot of fun!

eight helping hands said...

So you're the one that got me sick! I still have a fever of 102, that won't go away. It makes it kind of fun to read, and try and understand what you just read though....
P.S. I think you're such a good writer.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun party! I'm sorry you got the sickies afterwards though.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun, except for the getting sick part. So sweet of your daughter to act like she was happy with her present even though she wasn't. Good parenting!