Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Words with a Blogger Wednesday


It's Words with a Blogger Wednesday!
This week's blogger is different from my normal bloggers I bug-he's a Daddy!

Come see how them there dads think about blogging!
Jeff
from The Goodfather Blog


Please introduce yourself:
I'm Goodfather (Jeff), and I'm the father of four kids, two teens and two girls ages three and one. Trying to be a 'good' father is important tome, although naming my blog 'Goodfatherblog' was meant as a reminder to myself more than anything.
You can read my blog at http://goodfatherblog.com/.
I love comments!
Please stop by and introduce yourself.

When did you start blogging and what made you decide to blog?
My first blog post was 8/21/2008. When I started, I thought I might earn some money through running ads, but I quickly learned that for me,blogging is about relationships - I love the interactions I have with other bloggers on my blog, and on theirs.

What is your blogging style?
I'm always striving for humor with each post on my blog. I'm not sure I always get there, but if I don't have at least one joke in my post, I chuck it. I hate being bored. Humor is the only thing that makes writing worthwhile to me. I've learned that my readers are consistently funnier than I am in their comments. I'm truly satisfied if I can suggest a joke in a post, and have readers complete it in their comments.The other definition that could apply to my blogging style is 'first draft'.

Do you make money from your blog?
Nope. I ran some ads in the beginning and earned about $.60 before I turned them off.

What do you do to network/promote your blog to bring in readers?
My blogging philosophy is pretty simple: I comment on other blogs hoping the authors will come back and comment on mine. I post on Twitter using TinyURL, and I also post on Facebook.

How frequently do you post?
I post almost daily ;). That's my goal, at least, but I'm OK with not posting if work or life takes priority.

Do you have a favorite blogger(s) that you just can't live without reading?
Yes!
There's a list of blogs that I love to read, but I'd say the blog I go to first every day is
Midlife Musings
MidlifeMama has a great take on life and blogging, and she's been one of my favorite authors since I started.

With all the Mommy Blogging this and Mommy Blogging that, how do Daddy bloggers get the attention they deserve?
Good question! When I started blogging, I read several articles on how to write a good blog, and what would attract readers. Most 'experts' I read generally agreed that writing good posts is the key to having a good blog. I'm in the 'Daddy' niche, so I try to write posts that describe my actual feelings and experiences as a father.

What do you recommend to blog about?
I recommend that bloggers write about what they know AND love. I think it's hard to write a good blog post every day about something you know, but aren't particularly passionate about. I know a LOT about male pattern balding, but I just can't write about it.

Have your readers influenced you in any way?
Absolutely. I've been inspired to write posts based on a single comment from a reader. I've checked out other blogs and websites on readers' recommendations. I've learned parenting tricks, tried recipes, and added books to my reading list. Words like 'awesomesauce' have become part of my daily vocabulary.

Has blogging changed your life in any way?
Blogging has made me a much more social person. I've made a lot of bloggy friends that I would actually like to meet in real life. It's been amazing to me to find so many people that share my values.
What do you do when you get writer's block?
When I get writer's block, I try to think of memes (themes for blogs) I haven't done yet (e.g., favorite books or movies), or write a funny conversation I've had with my beautiful wife (or kids), OR, I post a video of the kids doing something cute or funny. I usually get struck by a totally different idea on my way to any of these. ;)

Any other advice you might have for newbie bloggers?
You asked for it... ;)
1. If you're starting a blog and you want people to comment on your blogposts, do this: write a post, and then go out and find other blogs that you like and comment on those. It also helps to find blogs that are the same 'age' as yours, or slightly older. Don't lurk! If you are reading a blog, leave a comment. Don't be shy, everyone will LOVE what you write. You're a blogger, right?
2. ABPAA - Always Be Positive Always Always.
3. Use Google Reader. Subscribe to the blogs you read every day.
4. Use Google Analytics for your blog (or an equivalent) so you can see where traffic is coming from for your blog.
5. Have as much fun as you can stand. If blogging isn't one of the funnest things you do, try rethinking your approach.
And there you have it!
Thanks, Jeff!

Would you like to be my next victim-er, I mean interview? Comment on this post and I will stalk you and peek in your windows to watch your family eat dinner just like the Australian guy that follows that gecko character on Geico-Or, I'll just send you an email with a list of interview questions for you to answer.

31 comments:

Anndi said...

Thanks for interviewing one of the nicest bloggers around.

I think he's right on the money when he suggests bloggers write about things they love.

His honesty is what really attracts readers.

And, first? Wooohooo!

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

I Love the interveiw, very professional. I would soo give you the job! ; )

Unknown said...

Great interview! I love GoodFather's blog! Everyone needs to go read it.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the interview! I loved the questions, you have a great interviewing style.

Cameron said...

Excellent interview goodfather, you didn't stutter or anything. That heavy sweating was hardly noticable.

Charmaine said...

Awwww. I love that guy!

ChurchPunkMom said...

great interview! i always wanted to take a peek in GFs windows.. ;)

i didn't realize that we started our blogs around the same time! cool.

i would love to be your next victim! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you featured a Daddy Blogger! We need more daddy bloggers in the world!

eight helping hands said...

I loved the interview and will be stopping by to read his blog. You are a good interviewer, when you run out of people to interview you can come "pick on me" I'm just kidding.

Anonymous said...

LOVE GoodFather! He's sooo welcoming and has a great sense of humor. Brilliant interview! Can't wait to see the picture of what you wore to your "interview". :o)

blissfully caffeinated said...

Great interview, I just love Goodfather. You couldn't have picked a better subject.

Bookworm said...

Awwww I heart Goodfather. He so rocks. And I'm not saying that because he named me as his favorite blog. I'm not. Let me see...(fumbling with wallet)...Goodfather, what was that we agreed on; was it $20? $30?

What? Bribe? NO! I'm helping him out, 'cuz he lost his job. Yeah. That's it. Heh heh Really.

So. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Tricia said...

Go Goodfather, Go. It's like a chant from fans.

Lori said...

First time here...great interview of the Goodfather. He has a great blog although I have never commented on his blog yet. For some reason it takes me awhile to leave comments...kinda shy like that. Anyways, I was led here and I am sure I will be back!

Anonymous said...

Great interview. You go, GoodFather!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Really great interview! I love Daddy Bloggers. They don't get enough press

The Stiletto Mom said...

Tess, you could not have chosen a nicer guy! Goodfather is big on returning bloggy love and his posts are always upbeat and happy...a joy to read!

Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

Awesome interview! I love the Goodfather and his blog, and now I know he interviews well too!

Captain Dumbass said...

Way to make yourself look normal. What happens when these people follow you back to your blog and see you dancing around one of your alters wearing nothing but a pirate hat and M&M wrappers?

Irish Gumbo said...

Wow. That was insightful. I have been following GoddFatherBlog for a little while now, but that gave me a fresh perspective AND gave me some food for thought (and my brain is VERY hungry!)

Good post!

Bookworm said...

...Besides, he started his blog on my 50th birthday. How awesome is that.

Dana said...

such a nice post and seems like such a great blogger!!

PAPATV said...

Goodfather is the granddaddy of goodness. Seriously, I like that he's positive, light, and funny.

I've heard he even builds shrines.

Great interview.

As my Aunt bridget would say "He's a solid guy."

(Feel free to interview me www.papatv.com.)

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, how much fun is this! I love Jeff's site and the steady increading comments he gets shows how much others love him too.
Great idea to interview bloggers!

Casey said...

Great interview and great answers. I recently found GF and I dig him. He's one of the nicest commenters around. Also? I like knowing daddy bloggers, they put a different (and similar) spin on parenting.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to get to know people. Both for the interviewer and thos of us just passing by! Great interview GF!

Helene said...

Ooooh, his blog sounds great...I'll have to go check it out! I'm sure it'll be fun and interesting to read a blog from a man's perspective!

PlungerGirl said...

Goodfather rocks.

I, for one, would like to learn more about male pattern baldness and he's just the person to share his wealth of knowledge.

Momma Trish said...

Great interview! Goodfather is all kinds of awesomesauce.

(My word verification is "sappin" ... do you think that means anything?)

Michele said...

Jeff is one of my favorite bloggers, though I have many that I follow. He really is awesomesauce. I think that is the first time I've ever typed that word.

Anonymous said...

I love the interview! Thanks. I'm going to take a peek at his blog!

(PS: I'm from Mom Bloggers Club: CC2)