Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Sisters

Tis the season to be merry.
I love Christmas but it can stir up sadness too.
I love to read other blogs and my fave blogs mostly are written by women. As I read them, I realize that they talk of visiting and spending time with sisters. I have two sisters, both older than me. I'm the baby sister but not the baby of the family-that would be my brother. But, this is not about my brother and my relationship with him.
I read about how sisters get together over wine or having a Christmas cookie party and I think about my sisters. I wish that we lived nearby each other and how nice it would be to go visit them at their houses or invite them to mine. How fun it would be to have Thanksgiving at their house (my dream-lol) or Spend New Year's getting drunk and telling old stories of how they used to gang up on their little sister and convince her that there is a bridge to Europe. Or how about the time Sis Two, when we were walking back from the store and we saw a snake and you left your little sister behind because you were deathly afraid of snakes?
Unfortunately, we can't reminisce in person with both of them living far away-at least too far to make the trip on a regular basis.
So, it has made me sad to think about us getting older and any chance of time together as three is gone.
I'm sure if we did live by each other we'd be fighting all the time but at least I could be around them and fill that "sister emptiness" feeling that I have inside.
So, Sis One and Sis Two, get your damn asses back here!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I can relate somewhat.

I have one sister. She lives across the country. Due to recent circumstances, we can't have the relationship that I have always wanted. I have always wanted a sister that I can talk to about anything, that I can do things with ... the kind you see on all those TV shows. I grew up wanting that. I still want that. And I'm struggling to come to terms with the very real fact that I will never have that.

So yes, the holidays can be very bittersweet in light of that.

Anonymous said...

I wish we lived closer too - so we can go shopping together and visit each other - I think about it too - possibly soon we can be in the same town again

Dana said...

oh how i love christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sadly my sister lives only 40 minutes but always "seem" too busy to spend time together. We still need to get together to watch our traditional "White Christmas" while we sip warm cider....hmmm thanks for the reminder!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

My sister is a half-hour away. I am glad she is close, I don't know what I would do without her! I hope they move home quick!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

I don't have a sister, but a dear friend who lives about 45-60 minutes away. I so wish we could be together more. That must for tough for you at times.

Anonymous said...

Christmas cookie parties and a bridge to Europe?...what fun! I as well live nowhere near my sisters. One is even in Alaska! I know how ya feel Tess.

Corrine said...

i have two sisters too...and miss them they live far away...and they are always in some tiff and i just think get over it you are near by and able to spend time together...but know that it would be bitterweet type relationship living near them.

April said...

So glad you stopped by my blog today! I love meeting new people!

I'm in bit of a similar circumstance as the one you describe. I don't have any sisters. I had two brothers, but one passed away in 2002. He and I were very close, just like best friends. The other, not so much.

Well, we lost our mom in 2000, our brother in 2002, and our dad in 2006. You would think this would bring us closer together, but it hasn't. We rarely talk on the phone and the only time he e-mails me is to send me pictures of wildlife that he's taken. So, long story short, we just don't have the connection that we should.

Through the years, I've come to accept what is and move forward in my life. I'm so thankful for my family because they've been my strength and support. The holidays, however, are especially tough.

Heather (How to be a Woman..?) said...

Aww, how sweet. From what I hear sisters can drive you nuts, but I still wish I had one!