Same Blog-New Place

This is now my old blog address-I am now one of those Wordpress geeks and my blog now sits at www.SixFeetUnderBlog.com . So, please visit me there and if you subscribe to it, you will be my new best friend and chocolate chip cookies will fall from the sky.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Words with a Blogger Wednesday

Words with a Blogger Wednesday
You may of noticed that last week I did not post a blogger interview. I didn't abandon this post. It's not that I couldn't find any awesome unique blogs, it's just that I didn't have anyone wanting me to give them some awesome publicity-free publicity. Can you believe it? I think that since there are so many spammers out there that people just don't believe that there are still nice people out there in Internet Land that just want to be your friend and help you out-just because.
So, I've decided that instead of just leaving it blank, I will STILL promote that wonderful blog I found, even if they don't answer me back. I'm just helpful like that.
Now this week, I did not have that problem. I found a totally rockin' blogger and she happily agreed to do an interview. Her name is Sara and she is an artist and runs a rockin' business too designing wedding cards, bottles, postcards, etc. with the couple on them.
Look at these illustrations she does!


When I saw her work, it made me want to get married again to my husband just so we could pass out these cards-they are SOOOO cute!
Ok. Ok. I'm shutting up. Take it away, Sara from
Tell us about your blog and business:
Hi! My name is Sara, and I'm an illustrator. I am also a TV addict, a wannabe organic farmer, a total computer nerd, a chicken wrangler, a cat petter, a burgeoning cook and a dog chaser-after.

My business has three parts: my custom illustration (for weddings, bar mitzvahs and babies), a greeting card line, and artwork for kids (most recently, I finished an alphabet poster). I feel super blessed to be able to be creative on a daily basis--plus, I get to interact with really fun people from all over the country, too, which is awesome.

My blog is a personal blog with a little bit of business thrown in. I started out by blogging about my wedding, and my posts are now focused on my personal adventures (such as raising chickens), how to run a business, and (every once in awhile) the projects I've completed for my business.

When did you start blogging and your business?
I've had a personal journal for a long time, but I started publicly blogging when I was planning my wedding in 2007. It started as a way to keep track of my ideas, and morphed into something a little more structured. I ended up blogging as Mrs. Cream Puff on Weddingbee.com from 2007-2008, and after that I continued to blog on my own website.

My business also started in 2007, while I was planning our wedding (I had no idea wedding planning would open so many doors for me!). I drew my husband and I in front of the movie theater where he proposed, then posted it on the knot.com's message boards. My fellow brides-to-be really loved it and asked me to draw them!

How frequently do you post?
I aim for every week day, but I have been slacking off a bit. Sometimes blogging ends up taking a backseat to running the business (even though they're one and the same!).

Your blog goes along with your business-do you recommend other business owners to start a blog to help grow their business and why?

Absolutely. My blog is the main entry to my website, according to Google Analytics. I try not to focus too much on my specific business when I post, because I don't think people find it especially fascinating (haha), but I throw in a "finished product" post every now and again. I think it's important to make sure your blog is interesting. If your readers find you interesting, hopefully they'll explore the rest of your website to find out what you do. I also like to ask my readers what they want me to write about, especially if they have questions about how to run a business. These are thing that I would have found helpful when I was just starting out, so I like to help other people.

Have you ever been contacted by the press because they found your blog? What do you do to promote your blog?

Yes! I have been featured on numerous websites that found me through my blog. I am very lucky in that I haven't had to do too much promotion of my blog specifically--a lot of my readers found me through Weddingbee. I have done promotion of my business, and my blog is connected to my business site. I'm not sure how many extra readers I've gotten that way.

Have your readers influenced you in any way with your products/blogging?

Absolutely! One of my favorite things about blogging is that it's interactive--I often ask questions of my readers, and I love to hear their responses. I have also asked them what they'd like to see, products-wise, and I hope to be able to deliver for them. :)

Has blogging changed your life in any way?

Absolutely! Now, if I have any questions I ask my blog readers. They've introduced me to all kinds of fun things (including new kitchen appliances!), and I've made friends online. It is really fun to be able to interact with people from all over the country. When I blogged for Weddingbee, I became mildly e-famous, which was also kind of fun. People recognized me when I was out with my friends or at my old job. It was pretty surreal!

What do you do when you get writer's block?

Unfortunately, I end up slacking off. I wish I had a better answer than that! ;)
Thanks, Sara!!
Would you like to be featured? Contact me! It's totally freakin' free-I promise!

10 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

omgosh, I love her!

Tess, I think this is a great thing you do and I wish more people would be open to it and not so skeptical - I have found some great bloggers through your Wednesday posts!

The Four Week Vegan said...

Here work is adorable! What a unique product. Very cool.

Sweet CuddleCakes said...

That is wonderfully sweet of you! I so enjoy reading about others, how they started, where they draw inspiration from etc. Thanks!

Aim said...

That's super cool stuff! If you need a blogger/guinee pig, I'm always available.

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh Tess, you and me both! I think I'm going to have to talk to the hubs about renewing our vows just so I can get these invitations! LOL!

Buckeroo said...

Wow, I'll have to check out all the other featured bloggers on your blog! :)

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Wow! What a great interview! I love her work too! Thanks for sharing her with us!

Annette Piper said...

What great work she does - thanks for letting us know all about her!

Liz Mays said...

Those really are cute! They didn't have anything cute like that when I got married...

Sandy said...

She does great work!


I stopped by to welcome you to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood!